Everything You Need to Know About Part P of Building Regulations

Before hiring a contractor for electrical repairs at your home or office, you need to consider a couple of things that will save both money and time. What’s more, you need to be aware of all the details mentioned on the Part P of Building Regulations for electrical safety in UK which many homeowners are unaware of.


Part P of the building regulations is a legal obligation for all tasks related to electrical installations in houses, flats and offices that are associated or shared with other flats or offices in a building. It also covers areas such as greenhouses, garden lighting’s and separate garages.

Whether you plan to fix all your electrical repairs by yourself or have it done by a professional, you need to notify the concerned authority before setting out to fix any rewiring issues or other electrical installations. If you fail to inform the legal authority, it is most likely they might terminate or alter your work.


As for the part P certification, you may select from the following four options

  1. Self-Certification Schemes: There is a possibility to self-certify yourself as an electrical contractor if you perform electrical installations as a major activity of your business. Once, you are registered, you are no longer required further notify any authority for the electrical actions you perform.
  2. BCB(Building Control Body): If your electrical installations are infrequent and are only being performed as a supplementary tasks to your main activities, and you are not interested in being registered, then you may have to notify BCB before commencing your work. Above all, you should be able to meet all the requirements related to design and safety. The BCB will then take care of everything else on your behalf for which you will have to pay extra charges.
  3. Third Party Certification: Some people hold third party certification to offer to other clients who want to perform electrical tasks. Although the third party is not the actual electrical contractor, which performs your repairs, they facilitate certifications and conformity towards the requirements of installations and safety for the electrical contractor. That is, if they are not registered with a competent person self-certification scheme. You may consult with them before carrying out any electrical work.
  4. Notifying Local Authority: If you do not want to select the third party certification or the self-certification schemes, you can simply notify the local authority and they might hire electrical inspectors for the purpose who will decide on which option would be appropriate for the work.


According to a research, 30% of the accidents caused by bad electrical installations through these regulations could have been prevented. Hence, reducing the annual injuries and deaths leads towards an overall growth in the quality of electrical operations.

So, what are you waiting for?! Here’s a smart solution available to you right at your doorsteps! We will make sure you get the electrical work done in the safest way. Remember, safety always comes first! If you need any more info on part P regulations feel free to contact us at Fylde Coast Re-wires where we would be happy to direct on the correct procedures, as a registered company that can certify our own work we are well placed to provide you with guidance.